METROCON17 Call for Presentations
OVERVIEW: Interested parties were invited to submit presentations for consideration to be offered as CEUs at METROCON17 Expo & Conference, which is taking place Thursday, August 10 & Friday, August 11, 2017, at Dallas Market Hall [2200 Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, Texas 75207].
AUDIENCE: Interior Designers, Architects, Specifiers, Facility Managers, Real Estate Professionals, Students & other Essential Industry Members catering to the built environment. Attendees are primarily from the country's Southwest region, with most coming from Texas and Oklahoma.
TOPICS: A variety of topics will be considered as to serve all design practice areas: corporate, education, healthcare, hospitality, institutional, multifamily, residential, and retail. IN HIGH DEMAND:
- Courses that are already approved by other entities such as AIA, GBCI and/or EDAC.
- Topics with Health, Safety & Welfare [HSW], Barrier-Free [BF] and Sustainable Design [SD] content that qualify as CEPHs for Texas Registered Interior Designers and Registered Architects.
SUBMITTAL WINDOW: Online between 8am (CST) January 9, 2017 - 5pm (CST) March 3, 2017.
NOTIFICATION WINDOW: Submitters will be notified by mid- to late April 2017 if their presentation(s) has been chosen.
Please know this.
EVALUATION PROCESS: All submissions will be reviewed and chosen by the current Committee of Volunteers. Items taken into consideration:
- Overall quality of the presentation.
- The topic's relevance to the industry.
- Practical applications of material.
- Timeliness of the topic.
- Qualifications of the Speaker(s).
IDCEC APPROVAL: Presentations do NOT have to be pre-approved by IDCEC [Interior Design Continuing Education Council] to be considered. All courses chosen for 2017 that do not already have individual, non-expired IDCEC numbers will be submitted by the METROCON Committee to IDCEC together. Once approved, each course will receive an individual, one-time use conference IDCEC course number that can be used for METROCON17 only.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Understand that...
- Speakers are welcome to submit multiple presentations for consideration.
- Any presentation over 1-hour in length will be not chosen.
- Any presentation containing promotional material for specific products and services geared to encourage sales will not be chosen.
- Courses presented at METROCON in the last three years are not likely to be chosen.
- Presentations may be given by between one (1) to five (5) speakers. For example: If the session is panel discussion, then you may have a moderator and up to four (4) panelists.
- All classrooms will be automatically outfitted in a classroom style configuration that seats 100 people. Though seats may be moved around during a class, no additional tables will added for a specific class. Due to cost and time considerations, METROCON cannot accommodate varying room configurations.
- Individuals may submit as many presentations as they would like to be considered.
- Presentations must be submitted through METROCON's online Call for Presentations form to be considered.
Before starting the submissions process, have the following information ready.
> Information for EVERY Speaker for EACH submission:
- Name and Appellations - i.e. AIA, ASID, CHID, EDAC, IIDA, LEED AP, RID, etc.
- Company Name, Job Title, Email Address, Cell Phone Number
- Mailing Address (to receive course evaluations after show if chosen to present)
- Biography (limited to 675 characters w/ spaces max. for IDCEC submission formatting purposes). If desired, you may also upload a file containing additional biographical information [file type: PDF | maximum file size: 10MB].
- Head shot that will appear in the printed program [file type: JPG | file size limited to 10MB]. Note that this is optional at time of submission, but it will be required if the course is selected.
> Information for EVERY submission:
- Presentation Title: Limited to 100 characters w/ spaces max. for IDCEC submission formatting purposes.
- Presentation Description: Limited to 1,000 characters w/ spaces max. for IDCEC submission formatting purposes. If desired, you may also upload a file containing additional description information [file type: PDF | maximum file size: 10MB].
- Prior Approvals: If applicable, indicate any entities that have previously approved the course, taking care to provide each associated approval number. Approval Entites: IDCEC | AIA | GBCI | EDAC | NKBA | Other.
- Content Coding (pick only one): GEN - General | HSW - Health Safety Welfare | HSW/BC - Building Codes | HSW/BF - Barrier Free (must contain at least 75% Barrier Free content) | HSW/SD - Sustainable Design (must contain at least 75% Sustainable Design content)
- Design Practice Area(s) to which the course applies (check all that apply): Education Design | Facilities Management | Healthcare Design | Hospitality Design | Institutional Design | Multifamily Design | Residential Design | Retail Design / Store Planning | Workplace Design / Corporate Design
- Course Level: Basic | Intermediate | Advanced
- Whether or not you are willing to present this course more than once during METROCON.
- Preferred Date to Present: No Preference | Thu, August 10, 2017 | Fri, August 11, 2017
- Preferred Time NOT to Present: No Preference | 7:30 AM | 9:00 AM | 11:00 AM | 1:00 PM | 3:00 PM (Thu only) | 5:30 PM (Thu only)
- Whether or not your presentation requires that sound from your computer and/or tablet and be broadcast through our speakers.
EQUIPMENT: Understand that...
- METROCON will provide a large rectangular table, projector, screen, microphone, and speakers.
- You MUST provide your own laptop and/or tablet with your presentation loaded on it.
- You MUST provide your own dongles/adaptors required to connect the VGA cable from the projector to your device.
- You MUST provide your own remote presentation "clicker" to advance slides (if desired & highly recommended).
- You MUST provide your own laser pointer (if desired).
SPEAKER EXPENSES: As METROCON is not-for-profit show governed by volunteers from several not-for-profit professional organizations, it does not have the budget to pay honorariums or travel expenses.
A Few Happy Speakers
Your AV team (Mike) was fantastic!! Everything went without a single hitch. Thanks for all of your incredible help/support!
--Christopher Plumlee, President – Elevate Strategy Group
Very impressed with all the work the committee does. I think it ran very smoothly.
--Debi Fuller, RID, IIDA, LEED AP BD+C, ID+C, Sr. Interior Designer – The BECK Group
It was truly a wonderful experience for me to present at Metrocon. Thank you for making me feel so welcome!
--Amy Wagenfeld, PhD, OTR/L, SCEM, CAPS, FAOTA, Professor – Western Michigan University
This is an incredible amount of work. Truly labor of love! Thank you so much!
--Gabriela Jacobsen, CID, Lighting Designer – Schuler Shook
Thanks so much for yet another smooth-as-silk show! I can’t imagine the work you put into that, but we appreciate it!
--Glenn Garry, Communications Manager – Texas Board of Architectural Examiners
Thank you for an awesome show! We appreciate all of your help and we look forward to next year! I will be on the lookout to submit the presentations in January.
--Wendi Dines, Sales Executive – Forbo Flooring NA